Secret Belgian Binding

Two books I made recently using the Secret Belgian Binding method. The cover paper is paste paper I made. I think paste paper and I are a match made in heaven. All my wood graining tools from theatre come into play here, but nothing has to look real! In fact, it can look as unreal as I want! How cool is that? The binding thread for the faux wood book is dark brown hemp (found in the jewelry-making section of a craft store). The binding thread for the blue book is rayon knitting tape.








You can see a bit of pattern underneath the paint on the blue book. This is because I painted my paste paint over some printed paper leftover from a wedding shower project. The print was perfect for the party, but way too pink and sweet for any book project of mine. I love how the pattern shines through from below.


Comments

  1. Hello Kim!

    A fantastic tutorial, thanks for taking the time to make it. Just a quick one to let you know that I’ve added your tutorial as a resource in our latest ‘Top 10 Secret Belgian Binding Tutorials – http://www.ibookbinding.com/blog/top-10-secret-belgian-binding-tutorials/

    Thanks again and keep up the good work!

    ~ Paul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment