A Bookbinding Workshop

Today I had the good fortune to be able to take a book binding workshop at King's Books in Tacoma from my friend Mitzi Lindgren. We made soft cover books using a binding method known as sewing over tapes. The binding method works well for journals because the pages open flat.



The book we made consists of 8 signatures of 4 folios each. The binding features decorative sewing that can be left exposed, and the cover is attached to the text block by making slits in the cover and pulling the tapes through, so no glue is used. Needless to say, since I am a rank beginner at this, my first attempt is far from perfect, but I had the best time, and I will be making several more of these books at home.

Already my little brain is working out variations. I can't help it. It's what I do! Mitzi discussed the possibility of including beads somehow in the binding. As I was sewing, I got so caught up in that train of thought, I sewed two signatures together and was starting on the third before I noticed the tapes I was supposed to be sewing over were still neatly stacked on the table. Fortunately I was able to slip them under my stitching without having to "unsew" everything.

If you ever get the opportunity to take a class from Mitzi, please do. She is organized, logical and patient, which I certainly appreciate, but she is also creative and fun and so generous with her knowledge. I really can't wait to get started on my second book.

Comments

  1. That's AWESOME -- I want to learn how to do that binding!!! it's *exactly* what I have been looking for, for a project I have in the works. .. does Mitzi teach online ?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ma che bella questa cucitura รจ possibile avere le istruzioni? grazie anna.angelobiondoa@libero.it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment