Sewn

In late summer (August, perhaps?) I signed myself up for an online class offered by one of my favorite bloggers, Mary Ann Moss of Dispatch From LA. It wasn't because I didn't already know how to paint patterns or sew on paper. I just needed help finding that creative spark last summer, and this class sounded fun. The class is called SEWN, and is an exploration of pattern-painting, chopping those pretty papers to bits, then madly sewing them back together into little books, lanterns, paper curtains...you name it. Did I do all the projects and "finish " the course? Ummm, no. Was it nonetheless worth every penny? Yes. And here are some reasons:

No Pressure. You were supposed to have fun, and not think too much. In the beginning, just pick colors and crank it out. No measuring or sketching first or waiting until you can purchase just the right paper. Just paint.

No Precious. Then just when I thought I was getting the hang of everything, I had to chop all those pretty papers up. What?! Really? Yes, really. I didn't think I wanted to do that, but I did it anyway. And what a freeing feeling that was.

No Rules. Well, of course there were guidelines, but once I got started, even several of the guidelines ended up on the cutting room floor. The two books I made didn't look like the guideline books, but I'm sure if Mary Ann saw them, they would meet with her approval. Most importantly they met with my approval.














No End In Sight. I can still return to the class (saved passwords!) and finish it. Maybe I will, and maybe I won't. I do still paint patterns when I am at creative loose ends, and I chop them up without hesitation when I need a little something on a project. I can always make more.

So thank you, Mary Ann Moss. It was just what I needed. It was a great online class. It still is.

Comments