Thursday, September 16, 2010

Another Little Job

I've been sidetracked again with another painting job at Broadway Center. It's unrelated to the floor painting a few weeks ago- just serendipitous that both are here. At the time we were painting the floor in the 915 studio, a water main burst on the 3rd floor of the building housing the Pantages, damaging walls and flooring all the way down to the lobby. Mr. B's company was awarded the contract to do the repairs, and since I sometimes do faux painting for them, here I am once more. I'm happy to do it. I like my coworkers, enjoy being downtown, and love this theatre.

Drying out the walls involved carefully removing some of the decorative plaster, so when the plaster went back up, it was my job to artfully patch any divots and screw holes before it's all repainted.












 Most of the work I am doing is up in the mezzanine.  Here it is, shrouded in protective plastic and masking paper while the repaired walls are primed and painted. Three shades of "white" are used on the walls, and next it will my job to paint the extra decorative wash on the plaster molding. By the time Broadway Center is ready to open its 2010-11 season in a couple weeks, this theatre will be back to her gorgeous old self.




And yes, I will be on that scaffolding. For as short a time as possible.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Midnight Haiku

I finally finished the little book. And I learned a few things along the way. The hemp fiber paper, as you can see, absorbs color in a very nice way. The paints I mainly used were liquid Dye-na-flow on wet paper. Hemp paper is not strong, but it tears with a lovely fuzzy edge. You have to stitch into it carefully to avoid big holes, but if you want holes, they are easy to make. I like the paper very much despite its delicate constitution. Next time I think I will try a Japanese binding using individual sheets rather than sewn signatures.

The book is about 2 ½ inches square by about ¾ inch deep. There are 6 signatures of 6 pages each. I bound them by the sewing over tapes method, and the tapes were made from some marbled tissue paper, folded into quarter inch tapes. The cover is covered on the inside with more of the marbled paper, and the outside is more painted hemp paper with beads. No big surprise there. I put beads on everything.
















I have been reading many books about journaling, and making journals, and making visual journals, and all the other variations that are all the rage right now. And what I have come to discover about myself is that while I like looking at the journals, I am not terribly interested in reading them, and I am even more disinterested in jotting something personal down where others might read it. However, sometimes writing things down is quite good therapy. In this book, I did write about a particular period of time that warranted some serious retrospection/introspection, and I got around the privacy issue by writing it so completely illegibly that three days later even I could not figure out what it said. So here is the little book called Midnight Haiku, accompanied by several shots of my paint-encrusted fingernails. Bonus!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Done, and Done.

Whew. Those were two intense weeks. But the fantasy finish floor is finito (pardon the alliteration). The finish on the floor appears to be holding up just fine, and the poobahs are happy with the way it looks. My old painting mentor designed the floor, and four of us painted it to her specs. Three of us are old friends accustomed to working together, and one of us is a new, and much younger painter. She fit right in, I am happy to say. Her painting skills are admirable, and she didn't complain when we gave her more of the crawl-on-floor jobs because her knees bend more readily than ours do. We did literally paint ourselves out the door and into the elevator!















While I am not unhappy, I am less happy with the set.  I know that I aspire to a pretty high standard.  I don't like to settle for mediocrity and I work hard to make things look good. There were design snafus this time that caused me to have to paint things over and over as they were adjusted and redesigned, and that is frustrating. But the job is done, and now I can once again turn my attention to my own work in the studio. And that is a good thing.